"There is so much more in the Book of Mormon than we have yet discovered. The book's divine architecture and rich furnishings will increasingly unfold to our view, further qualifying it as 'a marvelous work and a wonder' ...The Book of Mormon is like a vast mansion with gardens, towers, courtyards, and wings. All the rooms in this mansion need to be explored..."
-Neal A Maxwell

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chiasmus: 2 Nephi 28:32


Briefly, here's a chiasmus I really like in 2 Nephi 28:32:

Wo be unto the Gentiles, 
A saith the Lord God of Hosts! 
B For notwithstanding I shall lengthen out mine arm unto them from day to day, 
C they will deny me; 
D nevertheless, I will be merciful unto them, saith the Lord God, 
C' if they will repent and come unto me; 
B' for mine arm is lengthened out all the day long, 
A' saith the Lord God of Hosts.




While I'm not sure if I have the dissection right, the chiasmus is there, according to Jack Welch (page 20, line 31 at this link). 

The central theme in line D, the Lord's mercy, is consistent with what we would expect in a Book of Mormon chiasmus. Line C' is a wonderful contrast of line C, and line B', I suggest, is more emphatic than its earlier counterpart

Interestingly, this verse is the only place in the Book of Mormon (Isaiah chapters excepted) where Jehovah is specifically referred to as "the Lord God of Hosts" ("the Lord of Hosts," on the other hand, appears many times). 




No comments:

Post a Comment